Thursday, May 10, 2012

Inspiration of the Day: When did you first fall inlove with Hiphop?

courtesy of: http://cdn.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tribe-doc.jpg
Inspiration comes from all places in all forms...

I can still hear Sanaa Lathan ask the question in one of my all-time fave movies, 'Brown Sugar'...

"when did you first fall in love with hiphop?"



I always loved R&B and Hiphop, but in my younger years I was more into the commercialized, mainstream groups.  I never knew about A Tribe Called Quest until my cousin's bf had intro'd it to her, and she passed it on to me...There was something different about them --no gansta rap boasting money and fame, it was more than that....They made you think all the while listening to their infectious beats.  From Peoples Instinctive Travels and Paths of Rhythm to Low End Theory and Love Movement (just some to name) the free style rap flowing against the backdrop of great beats and jazz rythms just gives me goosebumps.
Even as a solo artist, Q-tip and his sound just gives me chills at his musical genius.  His solo albums The Renaissance and Kamaal the Abstract --a must in your playlist.  If you ever catch one of his dj sets, I hear its one for the books. 

Inspiration for great art is just the tip of the iceberg when I think of this group.

Non-fashion related, I know, but insipration nonetheless for me....want to find out what's so great about them? Just..check the rhime, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...