Friday, February 8, 2013

TGIF: falsies do's and don'ts

Hello all, Happy Friday!

Is anyone as excited for the long weekend as I am? thank goodness for an extra stat day this year, Family day!
:-)  Hey, any excuse away from work is a good excuse to me! 

...i digress

So my weekdays are filled with quiet days at home or running errands for the week until the weekend comes when, once in awhile, they are filled with some fun times with friends.  During the weekends is when I am at my best for fashion and beauty since I have more time.  One thing i've recently got into is false lashes...


There's actually a story about that if you have the time to read after the jump!

The journey to accepting false lashes...

It's quite funny actually; in my younger years I had been adamantly resistant to wearing them.  I found that any fake enhancements were like breast augmentations and lipo -- getting a bad rep and had a negative connotation of youth being disenchanted with their own self worth.  I've heard horror stories of my own cousin ripping out her own real lashes while trying to take out the fake ones she had glued on.  That was enough to just get me to stay away from it! It wasn't until recently that I have found my own terms of acceptance with it and why I am now ok with it...

It wasn't until mid year last year that I have started experimenting with lashes other than micro-fibre mascara enhancements.  A friend told me that I'd been missing out and that when the occasion calls for it, there's nothing wrong with wearing them to enhance the eyes.  I scoffed; I thought this was ridiculous until I realized that it was the same as wearing microfibre, i was just enhancing my God-given characteristics.  I wasn't really doing anything much different since they were both enhancements...To make a very long story short, I tried the false lashes and after much practice (not an exaggeration) I finally feel abit more comfortable with it.

So here's what i've learnt so far from YT gurus and just tips from MUA's that i've spoken to...

DO...
...Figure out what works the most comfortable for you to put on, either the individual ones or the strips.  I found that the strips work slightly better even with less control than individual ones.  I just place them and i'm good to go!

...cut the lashes to size.  The idea when they are bought is that it's supposed to fit all so they can come in a longer length than what works for you.  I always try to size them before gluing them on (it gets messy when you apply glue then size) so when i do attach them it's just an easy fit!

...learn the proper way to apply as well as removing them before any application.  There is nothing worse than not only ripping of your false lashes but some of your real ones too! Ask an experienced MUA to teach you the finer points of applying as well as removing them as makeup artists are usually used to doing that.  As with other things, there is a learning curve to it and knowing the proper way the first time prevents any accidents!

...use a good eye makeup remover instead of peeling them off dry.  I've learnt that when pressing a cotton pad soaked in a good eye makeup remover (i used the MAC pro eye makeup remover) it just comes off easy peasy! If you apply it close enough to your real lash line and when yanking it dry doesn't catch any real lashes, i guess you could count that as a success lol but why risk it?

...care for them like they are contact lenses.  Duh, they don't go in your eye...but they certainly get close enough to them that you should always care for lashes well.  After every use if they are still good to use again, store them in their original plastic cover and try to pick out the gunky glue that has collected from the last use.

DON'T...

...apply glue directly to your eye.  That is never a good idea lol, and an obvious faux pas but yet can't be stressed enough!

...use them for more than a set number of times.  As with everything you put close to your eye and for sanitary purposes, there is always an expiry.  It won't be written on the container itself but just like the slogan for gambling 'know your limit, stay within it!' lol. (too much?) Since it goes close to your eye and dirt and gunk can get on it, wear it i'd say only for about 6-8 times before discarding it permanently.  If you can't figure out a good guidline for when to throw them, ask a makeup artist what works, although when you start to see it fray and get gunky, i think that's as good an indicator as any!

...pull them off dry! Did I not stress this already? At the risk of pulling out your real lashes, try to find the proper and correct way to remove them gently.  Even though the glue is somewhat of a gum paste type substance, it's still supposed to be strong enough to keep your lashes on the entire time so it can still yank out the real ones! (see one of the 'do's' above)

I am sure that there are many other do's and don'ts out there not listed here...If you know of any please let me know! These are the ones that have come up in my quest to learn the proper way of applying false lashes.  I hope I imparted some shallow but good wisdom about falsies!

Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...