Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The 3-1-1 rule: leave the hassle at home when travelling to the US

Whenever summertime comes around, I think of travelling and vacations...

There is no better time to travel than during summer, when the weather will be 70% agreeable and it means less to pack and fuss over!

One thing that I think people travelling within North America should realize (and I think mostly everywhere) are the travel restrictions for carry-ons.  Nothing can kill you travel happy mood faster than TSA giving you the evil eye over your non-compliance with their carry-on rules.  You'd be surprised how common it is for people to get the restrictions wrong....



Here's the deal...

When travelling to the US, always go by the 3-1-1 rule.  It's not 100% guaranteed, but it will save you from having your toiletries and essentials thrown away at the screening point of airport check-in.

3-1-1 rule:

3.4 ounce or 100ml bottle (or less by volume) of liquid container in a 1 quarty sized, clear plastic ziptop container and 1 bag per traveller.  Get it?

I travel to Las Vegas every year, if not twice a year.  I always remember that when dealing with customs, it's best to fly under the radar and follow their rules.  It beats having to buy a box of ziplock bags for one trip.  I've also used the smaller bags, like my Sephora clear plastic travel bag as well and it seems to be ok, but it's no guarantee.  Every screener has their own way of handling what they'll accept and what they really won't.

Unsure of the type of bag?  I researched it one time I got curious as to what this One Quart bag actually looks like.  Zip lock has the exact product!


Also, I came across this whilst on my trip to the Phils last January.  My mom had unknowingly carried her nail cutter all the way to the airport in her purse.  We found out before we checked in so nothing happened, but always remember to check the entire contents of the purse you are carrying.  You never know what you could have put into it previously.

Still unsure? You can always visit the TSA website for more info.  It will give you tips on the laptop bags acceptable to use for hand-carry (yes, they do have specifications now folks..)  even what animals are prohibited to travel with lol.

Happy travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...