Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Make-up in the spotlight.

I thought I'd take the time out to talk make up.  Ever so often, I get that 'if you were stuck on an island..' game, and the question of what make-up I would take if I ever got stranded on one, and actually I don't know.  It always seems to change...I thought I'd shine a light on my makeup bag and it's contents.  Then maybe I'd figure out what I can and can't live without in the process lol.  Though if you've seen my make-up bag that I take with me everyday, it's going to become obvious why it's so hard for me to take just one thing on an island! lol


To make it easy, I've numbered everything instead of taking a pic of each and every piece on it's own like I usually do =)



1) Kabuki brush.
This is an integral part of my everyday makeup prep.  It goes hand in hand with my other essential, the HD microfinish powder from makeup forever.  Softy and fluffy, it's great for using on powder.  Luvs it!

2) My two concealers.
The light cream concealer, used to even the under-eye circles and the some of the scars left from my unfortunate teenage acne lol.  The green one, specifically used to even the redness I get around the nose area.  Amazingly for its green tint, it's actually amazing to use to even out any redness that you may experience, if you get some unnecessary (and ugly) redness in some parts of your facial skin (which you can't really avoid most times).  Both drugstore, Physician's formula (though I think I'll be finding a new one soon....)

3)HD High Definition Primer
Okay, so not everyone is convinced that primers really do anything at all for your skin.  Personally, I am a believer in the fact that using a primer actually evens out my skin flaws.  It's like a base for the foundation to lay on to make sure that it goes on smooth.  I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but it does help to lay my foundation on smooth.  I guess you could say it's like a primer for painting a wall.  You want to smooth out the wall with the same tone of primer before painting it so that whatever paint you put on after, it adheres alot better.  Did that make sense?

4)HD High Definition Powder
This is amazing! It mattifies my skin to a smooth finish.  I hate having an oily finish to my skin, and this ensures that my foundation not only stays on, but smooth and matte! =) I find that it makes my complexion look alot more smooth and even, not to mention keep my foundation on for longer! =)  Trust me, if you're looking for a finishing powder, you are better off with this than an actual compact powder that may feel abit heavier.

5) My compact foundation
This one step foundation compact is actually my absolute fave.  I guess if I had one thing that I could take, this would be a contender.  It's got a great coverage, and goes on light.  I've used this in the phils and it doesn't get cakey like other foundations.  Honestly I go back and forth between this and my new other fave, the photo ready revlon foundation =) they make great foundations for the price!

6)Chapstick Lip Balm in Mint
I hate flavoured chapsticks.  I am not into fruity or sweet smelling ones.  They make me nausious so it hardly makes it worth trying to have moisturized lips.  I find that the minty ones are actually great because they give that hint of tingly sensation on the lips because of the mint, kind of like chewing a minty gum.  I love that I don't have to smell the flavour all day either.

7)Lip Liner and Lip Gloss.
My lip liner NYX '848 flower' is as close to my lip gloss as I can find.  Think of it as the black outline in your colouring book, the outline helps to keep you colouring within the lines =) I've also heard that it keeps the gloss from staying on longer, though I'm not quite sure that's a valid observation.  I just find that having a liner keeps my lips shaped and glossed nicely!

My Lip Gloss...My precious lip gloss.  Okay so I am intensely disappointed that my uber fave gloss has been discontinued.  The gloss name is 'Whisper' nice eh!? It is called Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lip Gloss.  I am soooo obsessed with this lip gloss that I actually bought the gloss in bulk! lol, ever so often on my trips across the border, I make it a point to buy as many as I will be allowed (or whatever will be the max before I get taxed! lol hey that kinda rhymes) to stock up.  I have recently replaced it with a new (more expensive) lip gloss MAC's Lip Glass in Jail Bait.

8)Maybelline Lash Stiletto
I've never been a fake lash person...I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I've just always preferred my own lashes.  My fave colour is the blackest black that they have...I'm not quite sure if that's the actual name, but it's certainly very black.  It matches with my carbon black eye liner =) I like this because unlike the Maybelline mascara with the microfibre primer, this is just a one-step mascara that produces the same if not results.  I'm still quite satisfied with it =)

9)L'oreal Lineur Intense
I LOVE this eyeliner.  I am a loyal customer, for now.  I say that because it's so hard to find in stores! It always seems to run out so fast.  Anywhoo, so this eye liner barely smudges if at all for me...I love the intense black colour and the marker tip for precise lining.  I'm one of those that don't bother with a paint pot and liner brush.  It seems like it does a better job, but it seems like it's just going to produce more of a mess.  Ever since my first kohl pencil liner, i've always preferred them to pots and brushes for more ease of application.

10) Eye Lash curler.
Like I said, I'm not one to use falsies.  I don't have the time, money or energy for them...I use what I have instead, work with what God gave me =)  In order to bring the best out of my lashes, I try to use the tools that enhance them without damaging them.  I love this lash curler.  I recently found out that nowhere in the whole of this city do they sell the refillable rubber part of the old lash curler I've had for about 10 years now.  It's kinda sad really.  Anyways, this helps get the job done, and as painless as possible.

11)Nars Blush - Orgasm.
 Yup, you heard right...my fave blush used daily is called 'Orgasm'.  It's a nice pink hue with flecks of gold that reflect during the night time and give that somewhat bronzed blush effect.  Love it! (and I love Nars!)

12)Blush Brush.
self-explanatory? lol.  I bought it at Save-on, Quo is the brand I think.  I've been looking for a suitable replacement (at sephora lol) but until Vegas, this will have to do.  Does anyone know how a stippling blush 
brush does compared to a normal blush brush?

13)Brow Mascara - Rimmel
I only recently have been paying more attention to sculpting and shaping my brows more so really this is more of an oldie fave.  I occasionally use this colourless mascara/brow gel but nowadays, i use #14 for my brow sculpting needs =)

14)NYC brow kit
Good deal...I wanted to try a brow shaping/sculpting kit but didn't want to break the bank to do so.  My brows don't need so much work that it requires a daily routine based solely on it.  I bought this for about $6 at London Drugs and so far, it's not bad.  I always wondered why the darkest that the brow powder/eye shadow used for the filler is a chocolate brown (us Asians don't all have brown hair..) and no natural black or charcoal/black.  Must write to NYC about this...lol.

15)spoolie brush
I'm not quite sure that this is the official name, but I think some call it a mascara wand--either way, it's my go-to essential for helping with my brow sculpting needs =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...