Wednesday, July 21, 2010

uncovering the shades.

It's been non-stop day after day of beautiful weather here in Vancity, and I thought since it is summer and the sun is going strong daily that I'd blog about sunglasses!

Shades.

Popularized around the 1940s when it wasn't only cool to have them to guard yourself from the prying eyes if you're a celebrity, it became more important to guard damage against the eyes.  There are tons of choices and and name brands, its virtually impossible to not own at least one pair!

Those who know me well know that I am attached to my Chanel sunglasses.  I love the shape--it reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and the lenses are big enough to cover my eyes and not let the rays through...They have helped me shade my emotions on the most difficult of days in the Philippines and have shaded my eyes from the intense rays at Lonsdale Quay on a sunny afternoon.

How does one choose a pair?  Does it even matter what brand or if one buys a pair from the cheap stores?  Why invest in a pair like Oakleys or Ray ban?

Good question!



Along with the countless brands that have surfaced for sunglasses--like Oakleys, Burberry, Bulgari etc. various performance qualities have also increased.  Over the years, eyeglass and sunglass makers have improved and re-improved the quality of the sunglasses we use everyday.

One important feature that seems to be popular among outdoor enthusiasts and drivers alike, the feature that fishermen and boaters have been using for years is the Polarized lens.  I roughly read up on the feature, and it's basically a filter for the intense glare when the sun hits a flat object and the rays bounce of it and directly hits your eyes...like driving directly into the glare of sunshine...(this whole scientific explanation making me realize why I didn't take up sciences lol)  So the point is, it's supposed to make you life easier by filtering some of the intense glare you get.  Miracle solution? err--don't go running to the Oakley Store just yet.

Apparently, the bad side to this polarization thing is that because it lessens the glare you get from the intense rays of the sun, it also decreases the visibility abit.  I guess it's like when you're editing a picture, when you want to remove the harsh lines, the picture blurs abit.

There are other features that are popping up nowadays too.  I think the best site to check out if you are into finding the best for your money's worth in sunglasses is to check out the Oakley Online Store , they have the latest features one could ever ask for in their eyewear needs.

If you're one that's more on the stylish side however, and brands matter to you--have no fear! lots of brand names carry Polarized versions!  I know that Ray Ban does carry polarized version of their popular wayfarers and aviators, and Burberry also carries a selection of their own.

You don't have to sacrifice fashion for the safety of your eyes, and vice versa.  One can look stylish while protecting one of one's most important assets--the eyes.

By the way, cost-wise, you can spend upto $300 for a good pair of polarized lenses, but if it's protecting your eyes, isn't it worth the price?

For more info on eye safety and polarization, visit All About Vision website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...