Friday, September 10, 2010

Celebrity Fashion Lines: Would you buy based on a name?

beats:: absolutely stuck on the song Bruno Mars - Just the way you are.

I recently saw this MTV blog about The City's Whitney Port and her new line debuting at Fashion Week.  She showed her Fall/Winter 2010-11 collection.  Then weeks before that, I see Lauren 'LC' Conrad's new line to debut at Kohl's Department Store.

There is not only this big trend for celebrities to branch out into their own Fashion lines, like Beyonce's 'Dereon' or Nelly's 'Apple Bottoms'.  It's not new--LL Cool J did one with FUBU and P Diddy won awards for his 'Sean John' line.

Nowadays, even reality stars are using the quick rise to fame to promote their side businesses--from energy drinks and liquor to their own clothing lines.  Are they really that great though?

I am a firm believer nowadays that anything I choose to wear, brand name or not, has to be something that suits my taste and personality.  I refuse to back a celeb brand name just because.  Reality stars are no different.  I happen to like Lauren Conrad's style and other celebrities' styles, I just don't necessarily think that admiring a celebrity means you have to buy their fashion line as well.

It's an easy way to promote any side business you may choose, simply because everyone is already watching your every move and your fame will only help any product you promote...I just hope that fans out there will buy what they like and not because of the celebrity brand, much like not buying just because it's a brand name.

I shop in both brand name stores and the cheaper, less luxe counter-parts.  It's great to combine both and make a great outfit out of it...A true fashionista can make both price points work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...