Monday, September 27, 2010

Food For Thought#3: 'Real or Fake'?

I was at the mall yesterday with the familia, as with most of my sundays and ventured off on my own to browse and maybe run a few errands.  I walked into Off the Wall on a whim, thinking maybe I'll find some nice basics (as I usually do there) to buy for my up-coming trip to Vegas, or at least get ideas on what to bring from my own closet.

A salesperson approached me--a guy, and while this isn't really relevant in most stories, because of what he asked me as a starter conversation it does become relevant.  He says hello, like any polite salesperson does, and of course I aknowledge with a smile and nod then walk on.  He continues to try his chit-chat skills on me by proceeding to ask how my day has been so far, to which I respond with the obligatory 'fine'  standard answer and smile--and continue on walking.

Then he asked that oh-so-sensitive thing that most women (albiet I wasn't offended) would have men dare not ask....'Is your bag real?"  In my head I think, WTF? Did this guy just asked me if my Louis Vuitton Bag is real!?  That's like asking a woman what her true age is! lol.

While I took it in good stride and responded 'Yes..' he continued to dig himself an even bigger hole with '..oh well it's hard to tell most days with girls you know, but you're bag looks nice though!'

uhh...ok buddy.

The point to this story isn't that I got offended.  Because I wasn't--maybe because my bag is real lol.  Guys should be aware that this is one of those hot-button issues that some women may find offensive to be asked--and vice versa.  I'm really generalizing because while I don't find it offensive, there are those that may not feel the same way I do.  I know some women who turn all squinty-frow when people insinuate that their boobs may not be all real or that their hair colour is a dye-job.  It's basically like asking women what their real age is (as i previously mentioned) or if their boobs are real.


Some things should just stay off the dinner table conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...