Thursday, October 27, 2011

Top 5 Must-Haves: Fall/Winter 2011

If you've felt the cold morning chill as much as I have in the last few weeks, you may agree that Fall is definitely in full swing nowadays.  Much like last year, it's been said that we are due to experience a colder than usual winter this year--I for one am not excited.

I love living in a city that gets to change the seasons, it gives life variety and certainly makes going through the year alot more interesting.  I can't imagine Christmas without snow now...

What get's me through the cold patch of the year is prepping for the weather ahead. 

My top 5 Must-haves for this year...



Jackets
This year I'm all about necessity over style--not to say that I don't want a little flair while enduring the cold days ahead.  I am more careful of what I buy when it comes to investments like a good jacket.  This year I want to get two kinds, the long puffy down jacket and the Peacoat. 

Last year I was so elated when I finally bought my Camel Longcoat from Zara for a crazy steal of a price on boxing day.  I fell inlove with the T. Babaton Howell Peacoat (pictured above right) but will have to find a substitute since it's at a hefty price tag of $298 (cdn) plus tax.   The other jacket would be the long down Jacket, like the Zara Anorack with wraparound collar for $139 (cdn) plus tax (pictured above left).  A good buy for a down jacket!

Boots
I have this long-standing dilemma, function over style--or both!?  It's harder for boots because I love the style of my over-the-knee boots, yet I'm a big fan of being dry lol.  Over the summer my cousin and I found a great deal for sorel boots (Sorel Joan of the Arctic boots pictured below) at the Aritzia Warehouse sale, a pair for $30!!! We hesitated and now...alas, I am temporarily without.  I do know the importance of a good quality winter boot however, when it snows and you don't want to get wet feet.  So right now I'm in the market for some over-the-knee or riding boots and a pair of really good winter boots!

Do not underestimate the importance of a good pair of weather rated boots.  It will mean the difference between warm, dry feet and pneumonia! lol (okay maybe not that extreme).

Cold Weather Accessories
Much like sunglasses and straw hats become necessities during summer, one must accessorize properly during the winter season as well.  It is important to keep warm and well during winter when outside even for just a short time.  I am an accessory hound and as such, have been hunting for the perfect (and warm) gloves, toques etc. just in time for the colder days ahead!

I may come off sounding abit snobby about this--but I don't buy just any scarf that looks cute.  If it's something that means shutting out the cold, I want it to be functional.  A good wool/cashmere blend scarf like the T. Babaton scarf (pictured above)  is a great defense against the cold.  It will keep you warm but not bulk up what may already be a bulky outfit if you're wearing a down jacket!

Sweaters
When I was younger, I prefered to wear a thick down jacket and then a tanktop or tee underneath so I can remove the thick, bulky jacket once I got indoors.  I didn't mind the cold as much as I do now.  Once I got older I got more comfortable with the idea of layering for a slightly less bulky jacket as a topper.  Another thing I've grown accustomed to recently is wearing the chunky sweaters.  I've found a new appreciation for the chunky knit, and thanks to Ralph Lauren, i fell inlove with the cable knit sweaters.  I used to only wear the finer gauge knits, but have since ventured.

Knit Layers
During the summer, I know to stock up on the tanktops, tubes etc to keep me cool during the summer months.  During the winter however, I use those tanktops to layer underneath long-sleeve shirts and henleys.  I prefer to layer pieces instead of wearing one thick sweater when I know I'll be staying indoors so as not to sweat up a storm.  Having three-quarter sleeve or long-sleeve shirts allows more versatility of styles and colors while staying warm enough for the weather but cool enough to be indoors.

I went a complete 180 degree on the henley.  I hated them at one point and wondered why on earth people would wear them, then somehow they grew on me.  I love the Abercrombie Isabelle Henley (pictured above).

I'm sure there are tons more things that complete one's fall/winter wardrobe...These are my top picks, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...