Thursday, March 25, 2010

Breaking News: Shopping is actually healthy for you!~*

beats:: labels or love - fergie
outfit of the day:: don't ask...its a mess due to a late night of partying. lol.
fave fashion accessory of the day/moment:: my umbrella? lol (it's raining outside)

Finally the rain made an appearance after an amazingly lucky streak of beautiful days...

It's still beautiful out, just not sunny =)

So all those times I've spent rounding the malls and buying nothing has paid off!

I read in a magazine last december (yes, it was a legitimate article! lol) that shopping has some health benefits as well as just for aesthetic or running errands...The countless hours and money I have spent have finally been vindicated! lol...It's not quite so simple, though.

Yes, being at the mall has its health benefits, if done the right way...(Yes, there is a right way to go about 'malling'!)  Consider what I once never considered: When you walk around the mall for about 2 to 3 hours, it's true that you could burn upto about 300 calories in a single mall trip.  It's even better if you're running errands (like I do these days, group errands and do them all in a day!) cause you don't even notice that you're exercising! 

It sounds so easy when I say it like that, but here's the kicker: as healthy as it is to do all that walking around the mall, there are bad habits to be found at the mall as well.  The food court is a notoriously easy way to gain poundage instead of lose it, since lets face it, 80% of the food served is more grease than healthy stuff.  It's a cornucopia of unhealthy temptations.  Also, if you are a fan of shopping like I am, you'll find that it's not always easy to stay away from spending while at the mall.  It may be healthy for your body, but not for your wallet!

Fear not! As I read in the article, there are ways to get around the bad points...Like either eating before going to the mall so you're not tempted to eat at the food court and plus, you get to use up the energy from the meal.  Its a two-pronged solution really, you save money and control what you eat!  Or if you eat at the mall, be conscious of what you eat, try healthier alternatives they may offer.  As far as spending, I'm a shopper so I love to shop.  If I'm going to buy something, I try to keep aware of the 'need' versus 'want' in my head.  If all else fails, don't bring your credit card! lol.

In all honesty, I never gave the mall as a way to gain some exercise.  It's the mall! But it really does you good walking around a large mall back and forth...as long as you stay away from temptation! haha.  It's like getting your daily walk no matter what the weather =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...